Tuesday, June 10, 2014


Carl Gustav Julius Petterson Westerdahl (Sep 14, 1878 - Aug 15 1942)
Bruce Westerdahl’s Grandfather

I knew Grandpa Westerdahl well. When I was probably five or six, I spent a summer near a retirement home for Swedes in Shelton, Connecticut where he was the Superintendent, and we interacted often. In the late Thirties, I also attended the church in East Orange, New Jersey where Grandpa was the pastor. I sometimes wonder if that experience led to my years in the pulpit?

Grandpa was born in Lilla Edit in Sweden, and he emigrated to Boston from Sweden in 1896 when he was eighteen with his father, Svante, and his brother, Axel. 

I remember Grandpa as a heavy set man with dimples and a mustache who whistled a lot and played the accordion on which he was self-taught. I suspect he had a natural talent for music.  Grandpa’s daughter, Eleanor, my Aunt Lolly, confirmed my impressions of him referring to him as a jovial, caring patriarch.
He called Lolly his “lilla stumpa,” or “little thing” in Swedish.

Aunt Lolly and others spoke often of Grandpa’s gentle hands. I even remember hearing that he had “healing” hands. For example, according to my Dad, if someone had a headache, he would lay a hand on the person’s brow, and they would feel better. Aunt Lolly said Grandpa would put her to sleep by tapping his hand with a rhythmic pattern.

My Aunt Janet who was married to Grandpa’s son, David, said Grandpa always made her feel at home. “He was exceptionally friendly, and I was always greeted with love.

Grandpa was born Carl Gustav Pettersson. After he arrived in America, he signed documents Carl W. Petersson, then he applied for citizenship in October of 1900 as Carl Wasterdahl, which was his mother’s maiden name.  He was married in 1903 as Carl W. Petterson, and he was buried in Miami, Florida in 1942 as Carl G. Westerdahl. 

I just called him Grandpa, and I loved him.

No comments:

Post a Comment